Sivaganga (also called Sivagangai) is a town and headquarters of the Sivaganga district in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is also the headquarters of the Sivaganga taluk. The town is located at a distance of 48 km (30 mi) from Madurai and 449 km (279 mi) from the state capital Chennai.
Sivaganga kingdom was founded by Sasivarna Periya Oodaya Thevar in 1730. The town was subsequently ruled by his successors and ultimately by Velu Nachiyar under the stewardship of Maruthu Pandiyar. They were against the British Empire, but ultimately lost to them in 1790. The Company appointed Gowry Vallaba Periya Oodaya Thevar as the Zamindar of Sivaganga in 1801, whose successors continued with chaos until India's independence in 1947. It was under Ramnad district until 1984 and subsequently a part of the newly formed Sivaganga district. The town is known for agriculture, metal working and weaving. The region around Sivaganga has considerable mineral deposits.
Today, the College is a PG and Research institution offering, 4 under graduate Courses in Arts, 1 in Commerce, 6 UG Courses in Science, 4 PG courses in Arts, 1 in Commerce, and 6 PG Courses in Science. Further, Research programmes- M.Phil and Ph.D programmes- are available in Tamil, History, Economics, Commerce, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Botany and Zoology.