Department of Economics
The Economics department was introduced in the year 1958. M.A.Economics was introduced during the year 2005-2006. When Shift System was introduced in the government Colleges in the year 2007, B.A Course was started in the Second Shift also and upgraded as Research Department by introducing M.Phil 2012-2013and Ph.D during the year 2014-2015.
In the beginning, the department was functioning as ancillary department teaching general economics to history students. The economics major (English medium) was introduced in the year 1971- 72. Tamil medium was started in the year 1980-81 and the sanctioned strength of the students was increased from 24 to 40. In the year 2011-2012, the name of the degree B.B.E (Bachelor of Business Economics) Economics has been changed as B.A Economics.
• To impart holistic quality education to students and empower them with knowledge, entrepreneurial skill and competence and make them self -reliant, enlightened and socially committed citizens of the country.
• To promote academic excellence by maintaining the best teaching and learning standards.
• To inspire students for research activities.
• To make students responsible citizens for the nation.
- To provide an intensive theoretical knowledge of Economics.
- To create self-confidence among the students.
- To create research environment in order to develop consultancy and extension.
- To develop skilled personnel through entrepreneurial education.