Welcome to Raja Doraisingam Government Arts College
Raja Doraisingam Government Arts College, Sivagangai had a historical and social significance in the pre-independence India. The illustrious founder, Raja Srimath Vijaya Ragunatha Gowrivallabha Doriasingam Shanmugaraja, the then ruler of Sivaganga, genuinely desired to light the lamp of higher education in this economically and socially backward region of Tamilnadu and established the College on 11th August 1947, naming the institution after his father Raja Doraisingam. With boundless generosity, he allotted the 'Gowri Vilas Palace' for the functioning of the College, besides gifting out the entire stock of his precious books, his club house and play grounds to the College. It may be the only college in India with a total area of 216.65 acre of land, revealing the broad vision of the founder for future expansion and development of this institution.
The inauguration of the College, on 11th August 1947 is also marked by the uniqueness of the State Education Minister; Thiru T. K. Avinasilingam Chettiyar himself lectured the first inter-mediate class of the College, to mark the commencement of the academic journey of the College. Further courses were added in 1952 and developments were continuous from then onwards.
The College, originally started as a Private College, affiliated to the University of Madras, when under the fold of Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, it underwent a transition in 1977 and came under the administrative regime of the Tamilnadu Government as per Private Colleges (regulating) Act 1976. Ultimately, it became a Government College with effect from 01-07-1981 and is now affiliated to Alagappa University, Karaikudi.
Since, 1947, several educational stalwarts have served as Principals, Professors and Lecturers leading the destiny of the College and contributing to the achievement of the vision of the Founder towards enhancing access of aspirants to higher education and offering quality education in a backward region. The present team, consists of 78 well qualified regular faculty members and 66 guest lecturers is working successfully under the leadership of Dr.P. Hemalatha, the Principal.